Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Movie Review: The Rite (Part One: Taking a Risk)


Normally I avoid movies about demon possession. I have not seen The Exorcist, and I waited until adulthood to watch Poltergeist. I will probably never see Lovely Molly, even though it was filmed by my dear brother.

You see, I believe in the existence of demons. And I remember exactly when this belief began. A couple brave (?) girls in my third grade class were experimenting with the supernatural. They claimed that, if you went in your room, turned out the lights, and recited “Bloody Mary” 20 times into the mirror, that Bloody Mary herself would come out and scratch you. I was a skeptic, so I went home and tried it. Nothing happened, thank God.

But the experience continued to creep me out for some time. After-the-fact, I decided to ask my dad about it: “There’s no such thing as demons, right, Dad? They’re just pretend, aren’t they?” My father’s response floored me. “No, Laura, they are not just pretend. The spiritual world is real. God has his angels working for him, and the devil has his demons. So demons do, actually, exist.”

This response did nothing to cure my heebie jeebies. In fact, they got worse. Some nights later, when I couldn’t take it any more, I snuck into my parent’s bedroom, and whispered, “Dad, I’m scared.” That’s when my father shared a wonderful verse with me, 1 John 4:4, “…the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.”

“You see,” my dad said, “when you become a Christian, the Holy Spirit lives inside you. And the Holy Spirit in you is greater than the devil who is in the world. You don’t have to be scared of the devil or his demons. Now -- go back to bed!” I did go back to bed, and prayed to God, and believed, and was comforted.

Since that time, I have tried to avoid films that feature demonic activity. I know that I can run to Jesus for safety. But the heebie jeebies take on a much darker tone when you know the evil is real. Why associate with demons casually, for entertainment?

Nonetheless, I thought The Rite might be worth a gamble.  It is PG-13, stars Sir Anthony Hopkins, and is “inspired by true events.” My husband ordered it on Netflix, so perhaps I will blame the decision on him.

The movie’s main character, Michael, is a likeable fellow. Michael’s mother died when he was young. In a macabre twist, Michael’s father runs a mortuary. To escape his father and the family business, Michael enrolls – of all places -- in Catholic seminary.

At the end of four years of study, Michael is still not certain of his faith. He decides to resign from school and not enter the priesthood after all. However, one of his professors encourages him to try one more class – Exorcism 101, taught at the Vatican. [Question: Shouldn’t the prerequisite for that class be above-average faith?] Michael decides to take the church-funded trip to Rome.

In Rome, Michael shadows a local priest/exorcist named Father Lucas, played by Anthony Hopkins. Father Lucas uses various incantations and religious objects to treat symptoms of demonic possession. At least once, when treating a young boy with nightmares, Father Lucas resorts to outright deception. According to Father Lucas, treatment can take months or years.

Rosaria, a young pregnant woman, is a particularly dramatic patient. [SPOILER WARNING] She writhes, coughs up nails, speaks profanities in languages that she never studied, and has psychic powers (“guess what is in the bag”). Michael remains skeptical; he thinks Rosaria needs a psychiatrist. Ultimately, Rosaria succumbs to her illness and dies, along with her unborn child.

Not long afterwards, Michael begins to personally experience visions and other creepy, unexplained phenomena (a dark mule with red eyes; a bedroom overflowing with frogs; a phone conversation with the dead). Even more horrible, it appears that Father Lucas is now possessed by Rosaria’s demon.

Can Michael save his friend from an evil he does not believe exists? As Father Lucas warned, "Choosing not to believe in the devil won't protect you from him."

The possession scenes are over-the-top, as you might expect from Hollywood. Yet the movie appears to take demonic influences seriously and raises several legitimate questions:

1. How can demonic influences be recognized?

2. How can demonic influences be treated?

3. How can demonic influences be avoided in the first place?

More to come.

P.S. The fact that the movie raises legitimate questions does not mean the movie is suitable for viewing by families or church groups. It is not!

1 comment:

  1. Songwriter Bob Bennett created a wonderful piece: "The Man of the Tombs." http://youtu.be/ylT58LXm3zI

    It states the case for why demons too are under the authority and power of God. The mystery for me is why they are allowed to roam the earth and plague humankind.

    ReplyDelete