Saturday, September 8, 2012

If God Asks Me to Refuse a Donut (Part Four): Glorifying God vs. Glorifying My Body


It is a modern paradox: at the same time Americans are getting fatter, we glorify stick-thin celebrities. I was looking at a catalog for my favorite women’s clothing store, and noticed that the women had no curves. Instead, the illusion of curves was created by ruffles and contrast trim. Even Minnie Mouse and Daisy Duck have gotten a skinny makeover.

Extra padding used to be a sign of prosperity. You had more food, you ate more food. Now, it’s just the opposite. Wealthier Americans use their money and leisure time to hire personal trainers and shop organic.

I’m going to step out on a limb here and say that outward appearance is the number one reason we go on a diet. It was for me. I looked in the mirror, I looked at the size tags on my clothes, I joined WeightWatchers. Sure, some of the “Success Stories” point to a heart-to-heart with their doctor as the catalyst for change. But the primary focus of WeightWatchers, particularly for women, is looking good in clothes.

WeightWatchers instructs us to “Get rid of all the clothes that make you look or feel bad. Throw out anything that's too big — don't give yourself the option of ever fitting into those clothes again. Move the smaller clothes up to the front to help motivate you. Soon, you'll be fitting into those too-tight jeans you couldn't bear to part with.”

But for someone who is learning to trust God’s providence, learning to be content, learning to deny myself – am I really dieting just to enhance my shopping experience at the mall?

God told Samuel long ago, “The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” (I Samuel 16:7). The Apostle Peter instructed his women readers, “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment. . . Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.” (1 Peter 3:3-4). To God, fat is not the problem – but spiritual flabbiness is!

Physical training is hard. My brother is training for a triathlon. Just thinking about triathlons makes me tired! I so admire my brother’s determination (and his muscles :)) But we forget that spiritual training also requires determination. The Apostle Paul says, “Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever . . . I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.” (I Corinthians 9:26-27).

Brother Yun gave up his food when he was starving in prison. This was an exercise in spiritual discipline. It had nothing to do with weight loss.

And yet, there is an intersect. The Christian faith does not require us to neglect or punish our bodies. Each one of us was individually crafted by God, fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:13-14). To again quote from the Apostle Paul, “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.” (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).

How can I eat in a way that will honor God with my body? How can I eat in a way that promotes both physical, and spiritual growth? And – putting aside the world of photo-shopped celebrities -- at what weight am I most able to accomplish the works that God has prepared for me to do?

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment